Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Psalm 101:8 Checklist for Dads...cont (Final installment)

Psalm 101:8
Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked in the land; I will cut off every evildoer from the city of the Lord.

What was David encouraging us to do? Why every morning?
David was the King of Israel. He had the habit of seeking God early in the morning. This prevents the bad news and sinful influences of the day from intruding into Davids mind and his soul.
He filled his mind with the presence of God first, and then the cacophony of the outside world was silenced. He didn't stop them from speaking; rather, he listened to the voice of God first, before his day began, and let that Voice shout down the noise of the sinful world. Then he could be about the business of running a kingdom. He was able to cut off every evildoer from the city of the Lord, because he was ready to spot them. In banks, tellers are trained to look for counterfeits not by handling counterfeits...but by handling the real deal. They know the fakes because they are so used to the real thing. Same with cutting off evil doers. David was not familiar with the tricks of the evil doers because he spent time around them. He was aware of the deeds of the evil because he started his day in the presence of Ultimate Goodness...God. He let God affect the changes he needed for the day and then he was ready to face the imposters.
I am very guilty of this one lately. I intend on spending time each morning with God and I manage to find more excuses than I do create opportunities. We need to fill our tanks before we face the day. If that means getting up earlier or not logging in to my website until I have spent time with God...so be it.
God's order for my household is that I get filled from Him, then my overflow fills my family. Out of the abundance of my heart, I can speak blessings to them...and I can silence the evil in the land.

No comments: